Sunday, November 17, 2013

The Good And The Bad

It has been so long since I was able to call myself a runner and it seems  I have forgotten a few things that come with it. 

#1. Somedays you feel like you could qualify for the Olympics and other days you can barely run a mile. This was me today. Thursday I was running an 8 minute mile and today I could barely run 2.5 miles. My legs were heavy but I was breathing fine. I just couldn't seem to push myself past it and ended why should have been a 4 mile run a mile and a half early. Maybe I wasn't ready to up it a mile and need to stick with 3 miles for another week or so or maybe it was just a bad run. 

#2. If you don't use it you lose it and his is something I can really understand. In 2009 I could run 14 miles, but due to some medical issues I was basically forced to stop running. That means I was starting from scratch and couldn't even run a mile without stopping to walk. I never thought I would be able to run 1 mile again and I can now run 3 miles. Next up comes 5 miles and hopefully by spring I can get back on my favorite trail. 

#3. The more you run the hungrier and thirstier you get. I am finding myself chugging more and more water these days and I am hungrier than usual. My diet had drastically changed since the last time I was running consistently and I can't rely on my pre run english muffin pizzas anymore. Now I am not anywhere near my ling distance pizza runs, but I guess I will have to find a gluten free substitute as my distance grows. 

#4. It takes time. My running buddy and I decided to run a half marathon before we started running. We started training in March 2009 and ran the half in December 2009. It took us 10 month running 3-4 days a week to get to 13 miles and we upped our miles every month. I need to remember this. My goal for next year is to run the Road Race Series. It begins in July and runs until November. It consists of 2 5k's, 2 5milers, 2 10k's, 2 10milers, and 2 half marathons. I think by then I could definitely be running 5 miles consistently and a great way to train for the St. Jude half in December  

So slow and steady for now and maybe my legs will start to remember what they can really do. For now I am happy with where I am am and where I am going 1 mile at a time. 


No comments: