Tuesday, August 2, 2011

We were visited by the police today asking everyone in our neighborhood about the man we have lived next door to  for 3 years now. I have met the man once when I went to introduce myself and we say hi when he is actually outside of his house. He suffers from some ailment that keeps him pretty much home bound. I think something happened because there have been police, firemen, and now people in masks. I feel like the worst neighbor ever. It just breaks my heart that he was alone in that house when we were so close and we had no idea something may have been wrong. This really makes me think about the people who live around us and how we barely know anyone on our street. We know Mrs. Butler to the left of our house, Mrs. Rhonda down the street because her bad dog Sasha like to come visit us when she runs away, and our sweet neighbors Maggie, Molly, and Trey but besides that and chatting with the man who drives the motorcycle and parks his truck in front of our house (He is a very nice older man) we know no one. That makes me sad and hopefully someday we will get to know our neighbors better.

4 comments:

maggie said...

I know it gave me the chills and broke my heart. I wish I had checked on him more. You know us too.

Unknown said...

thank goodness for ya'll and Mrs Thonda and Mrs Butler. It makes me feel so much better we know some neighbors

Anonymous said...

Isn't it sad, how as a society we have closed ourselves off from our neighbors. Sure, we say hello and wave and make small talk, but it isn't the same anymore. I was recently reading something about how people used to live on their front porches in the summer and neighbors interacted on a daily basis. Children played outside all day and that was okay. Now we've moved from the front yard to the back, built fences and that's it. Kind of...it's hard not to hide in your backyard where it's safe when you watch the news these days!

Unknown said...

I want to live in one of those neighnorhoods where people have street parties and a gang of ids are running around playing tag.