Thursday, November 1, 2012

Pre K Days {Halloween}

{Weekly Wrap up}

This week has once again been CRAZY! These short weeks are going to be the end of me. I know I should love getting to have the day off, but there are so many things I want to get done and we don't have enough time in the day to get through everything! Besides being a bit crazy it has been a bunch of fun!

This week we learned all about Halloween and All Saints Day. All of the awesomeness that comes with my job gets a big fat cherry on top with all of the Catholic Holidays we get included in the Holiday Package and All Saints Day just happens to be a Catholic Holiday which is why I am at home today with my petite bebe and not at school.
We stayed pretty busy with a 15 month checkup

 Early Voting

And a little house cleaning,(no pictures because my house is still a wreck!) but all of that is besides the point.  

Back to Halloween in the classroom.
Since we weren't leaning about a letter friend this week I was able to fully concentrate on the Halloween theme. I wanted to throw a little fun in with our Jobs this week so one of the jobs consisted of eating candy corn (delicioso!). I wasn't expecting half of my kiddos not want to eat theirs! Crazy kids! We also had our classroom Halloween party which was so much fun thanks to my AMAZING room mom!!

We will start with our Jobs and finish with our Awesome party!! And just in case you are wondering what Jobs are they are our classroom activities, usually a math or writing skill, we do daily. There are 5 Jobs and each table completes 1 a day and then we rotate until every table has completed each skill. I picked this up from Mrs. Nicole our other 4K teacher. It was easy to get started and now that I have all of my Jobs made next year will be even easier. We only had 4 Jobs this week because we only had 4 days of school. That meant 2 tables completed one job at the same time which made it a little more chaotic and I needed more supplies than usual, but we got it done. One things I always try to do when I am borrowing an idea from someone else is make it my own a little. Most of the links you click on will take you to where I got the idea for my activities, but what I do will usually be a little bit different than the original.

Now on with the show.

The students measured bats wings with candy corn, blocks (I forgot the pennies we were supposed to use), and paper clips, counted how many, and wrote the number in the box. We have only just started writing numbers and I helped most of my friends write the bigger numbers, but most of them did pretty good with minimal directions.

We colored mummies by rolling dice and matching the number to the color written on our Smart Board and coloring it in.

We rolled a dice and ate the candy corn covering that number.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2 activities we completed as a class were Pumpkin Names and Pumpkin Sequencing. 

We watched 5 Little Pumpkins Sitting On A Fence and recreated the story by sequencing pumpkin sizes and drawing our own jack-o-lantern faces.

Then we wrote Pumpkin Names. They had to write their names in the pumpkins, find the letters that spelled their names in a pile of letters, then draw a picture of their jack-o-lanterns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I know I posted a picture of our paper bag pumpkins in my last Pre k Days post,but I just had to show off the precious Pumpkin Patch Mrs. Cathy made out of all of our paper bag jack-o-lanterns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now onto the P-A-R-T-Y!!
I gave my room mom a few suggestions for our party and she went above and beyond! I didn't want a whole party of candy because I knew my babies would be eating plenty of that junk that night. We decided to do a Halloween lunch with Mummy hotdogs

White chocolate covered Ghost Bananas

Jack-O-Lantern Fruit Cups

and Frankenstein Juice

Yummy!

We painted Pumpkins

And decorated cookies.

Things were nice and calm (if you teach 4 year olds you know that is hard to come by on party day) and everyone had so much fun!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!

No comments: